I got the idea of giving each of my students their own box from reading The Daily 5, other blogs and looking in other teachers classrooms.
In our learning space my students Daily 5 box is kept in a reachable area and the students responsibility to look after them. These boxes stay with them during our Daily 5 time and in a way they are each individualised to their learning and needs.
- 3 or 4 books that the student has chosen using I-PICK, that being a 'best-fit' book
- a book that is being used during Guided Reading
- a writing book to complete 'Work on Writing' and 'Word Work' tasks
- I-PICK bookmark
- a coloured folder to keep work that is done during 'Word Work', 'Work on Writing' or 'Listening to Reading'
- Look, Say, Cover,Write, Check book
- flash cards to remind of expectations
- student chosen 'Daily 5' goal
- a set of spelling words
- laminated handwriting sheet
- any work that is a work in progress
As you can probably see from the picture I like to be organised (and it has rubbed off my students) and everything is labelled in their boxes and also around the room. This stops those questions of 'where does this go?'.
I love these boxes, not only is everything kept together (great for assessment), but the students are so proud of them and love showing them off to visitors.