Thursday 4 April 2013

Daily 5 and me



Last year while team teaching with Paula, she introduced me to the The Sisters and The Daily 5 Fostering Literacy Independence in the Elementary Grades and I/we havent looked back.
Listen to Reading


Using their book as a basis we developed and implemented our own Daily 5 program that suited our teaching and our learning space (44 students, 2 teachers and many parent helpers). We began this adventure mid year and each week when we got together to plan we were amazed at our students successes, independence and enthusiasm. Who said Preps (5 and 6 year olds) can't write or read independently for 30 minutes?

At the end of last year, as it is at the end of every year, it was sad to say goodbye to my students and my teaching buddy Paula, but I was extremely excited to start the Daily 5 program with my new grade.

Word Work
Along with Paula and I, a lot of other teachers had dabbled in Daily 5 and my new grade had some understanding of what the program is and how it works. One of my students on the first day of school asked when were we doing Daily 5 and was disappointed when told not until next week; I knew there and then that this was going to be great year!

No comments:

Post a Comment